Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What did I forget?

Right around dusk I need to go close up the chicken coop. I usually have Maddy keep an eye on Naomi and run down to the coop on my own. Its getting dark and easier to do it without the help of a 23 month old. For weeks Joe has been telling me that I am going to regret doing something and well it finally happened. Its rather comical actually but needless to say I will be changing what I do. Here is what usually happens:
I head to the coop, open the gate and shut the chicken door before they realize I am out there and all run out, I then open the roof check and check for eggs. The roof is heavy and a two handed lift, so at this point I slip the egg or two that we are getting into my pocket. Then I lock up the rest of the coop, grab the chicken feeder, and head back to the house. On the odd occasion that we have three eggs I put them on top of the chicken food in the feeder as three won't fit into my pocket. Once back at the house I hang the feeder up, take off my boots and go inside. Hang my coat in the closet and then its on to start dinner. Do you see what I missed? I didn't either. Until I went to put my coat on the next morning and wondered what was oozing out of my pocket. Yup, eggs. lol I think I will start bringing the egg basket even if it is only one egg. :)

1 comment:

Hear Mum Roar said...

Oooh! Yucky!! I will have to remember not to do that when we get our new chooks!