Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Potato Leek Soup ~ Recipe




Potato Leek Soup





5 medium Leeks (white and pale-green parts only)
2 TBSP Butter or olive oil
6 Russet Potatoes, peeled and chopped (or don't peel if you'd like)
30 ounces Chicken broth (I have also used vegetable broth)
1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half (I've used whole milk or skipped this as well)
salt and pepper to taste
sometimes I also add garlic powder

1) Halve leeks and slice into 1/4 inch thick half moons.  Rinse and drain well.

2) In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.  Add leeks and cook until tender, be careful not to brown (though I do it all the time and it tastes fine unless they are black, then its well uh gross.  Hey I'm a mom, I get sidetracked. lol)

3) Add prepared potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil: reduce heat to simmer.  Cook until potatoes are tender.  About 15-20 minutes.

4) Puree with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth.  Stir in half and half and season with salt and pepper.  (Or don't blend at all for chunky soup, I tend to blend about half as the kids like the creamy and Husband likes the chunky, so they have to share and get both.  I totally just noticed a similarity here, its to peanut butter.)

Enjoy!  I tend to make this soup from memory so its a bit different each time.  Sometimes more potato, more leeks, etc.  Its pretty forgiving and I've never made a version that kids didn't devour.  I usually serve with fresh bread and butter.

2 comments:

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

Mmmm! I'm a huge fan of both potatoes and leeks so I'll be bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

I discovered your blog through the Raising Homemakers link-up and will be following. I see our interests are very much the same!

Allison said...

Jacinda,
Thanks for following. Potato Leek soup is one of our fall favorites, so yummy! Enjoy making and eating it. :)