Friday, May 25, 2012

Homemade Playdough Recipe

I have been making this recipe for years.  It is by far the best playdough recipe I have found.  It is not grainy, lasts a long time, and the kids love it!



Recipe for Homemade Playdough

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1tsp oil 
1cup warm water
food coloring

Mix dry ingredients in a pan.  Add warm water, food coloring, and oil.  Stir together over medium heat until it forms a ball.  Make sure to stir (this will be hard) until all (or most) of the wet looking spots are gone.  Dump out onto a table and knead until smooth.  Be very careful kneading, as it is HOT!  This recipe makes a large ball of dough, almost a pound.  Store in a sealed plastic bag and it should last for months.


You can make any color you want, even use natural dyes if you would like.  I've added essential oils as scents (be careful some are not great on the skin) and even added glitter to make sparkle dough!  Experiment and have fun!  I used to make this recipe and sell it online when I had my shop, Sewing Alley.

No comments: