Friday, July 29, 2011

Who are You Serving?

I have been working with one of the ladies at my church working on what are my strengths and spiritual gifts.  It has been a fun and eye opening experience.  After meeting with her on Wednesday I really felt the need for more direction for where I am supposed to be.
I spent a good portion of my early afternoon reading the Bible and praying.  I need to do this more!

I ended up taking out my journal and writing.  I am a talker, a writer, I need to write out and/or talk out situations before I can formulate all the thoughts that are running around my head.  So I wrote and wrote and prayed and wrote some more.  One line in what I wrote was this:
Serving our families for God because He is who we are here to serve.  Not because its our job or a chore but because its what God is calling us to do!
Oh how I struggle with that!  I know deep down that home is where I am supposed to be.  Home with my kids, home for my husband.  I long to create a retreat for him to come home to and a peaceful loving place to grow up.  How often I look at my day and groan because there is more laundry and more dishes and more sticky fingerprints.  Its hard to get it all done (and most days I don't even come close!) and even harder to do it happily!

A large part of me wants the recognition.  "Honey you scrubbed the floors and cleaned the toilet and made dinner it looks wonderful."  I realize though that while that is nice (and beneficial to our marriage) its not what matters!
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.  Colossians 3:23
So yes I do serve my family by kissing their owies, washing their clothes, and making their meals.  I serve someone even bigger and better who has called me to be here with my family.  I serve the Lord and when he sees that sparkling floor (and He does!) it doesn't matter if the kids notice because the One who loves me more than anyone else all ready knows.

So what about you?  How does God call you to serve your family?


No comments: