Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Child's Garden

Each kid that is old enough to understand gets a garden here. I don't care what they plant, if they weed, if they thin, or if they plant and then use it as a mud hole for digging. Its their space. They are not really big at about 2 feet by 3 feet each but the kids don't seem to mind and they really enjoy having their own space.

This year was Marah's first garden. I let her go mad in last years seed that I did not want and I am betting she planted at least a hundred seeds in her little piece of land. And I'll be darned if all 100 didn't grow. This was the first year I actually snuck some work in one of their gardens when they were not looking. I thinned and thinned and thinned and thinned and still have not seemed to make a dent. The peas and beans grew like mad. Then the sunflowers came out of the jungle. Next the carrots made their space. There is corn, zucchini, and pumpkins, and tomatoes, and who even knows what else. Every time I am out there I find something new. It is now spilling over into my carrots and cabbages.

Marah's Garden on April 21, 2009. The bunch in the middle is snap peas.

Today, July 1, 2009.

Not sure what this is blooming. Found it today while I was weeding my cabbages. I think its either yellow squash or zucchini.

No comments: