Thursday, May 5, 2011

KinderGARDENS 2011

I have never participated in KinderGARDENS and I think its an excellent idea.  You can find more info at The Inadvertent Farmer.  For my family teaching our children where their food comes from is very important.  Knowing that the carrot they are eating was grown by someone.  Grown from a seed, watered, weeded, and cared for rather than just magically appearing in the supermarket for us to buy.

Are you a first time gardener who needs help and encouragement or are you a veteren gardener that can help others here?

I am not a first time gardener but I don't consider myself a veteran either!  I look forward to learning from these blog posts and hope I can add to the discussions as well.

Are you gardening with your kids or grandkids or are you doing a school garden or maybe gardening with college kids?
I am gardening with my children.  We have four ages 3, 5, 8, and 10.
Are you going to expand on last year's ideas or are you going a whole different route?
We moved in February so have a brand new canvas to start on this year.  Our garden will consist of two 4 by 15 raised beds as well as an area of hill I am fencing off for the larger plants.
What are your kids dreaming of doing this year...remember to involve them in the planning stage, after all that is why we're here!
My kids have all ready planted a few things.  Flowers and pumpkins.  Both of my oldest children have hopes of growing pumpkins and watermelons for 4H to take to fair.  I usually give each child a garden space but I am not sure what this will look like this year.  

Anyone doing a hobbit house?  Ohhhh I hope so!!
I am planning a tee pee this year for the kids.  I have started some vining flowers and a mini vining pumpkin that will grow up the sides.  Also will add beans, peas, and sunflowers to the mix.  I tried this last year but I never got farther than setting up the tee pee poles!  Its high on my priority list so hopefully I will accomplish that this year.  :)

6 comments:

Kindra said...

new follower Allison. we will be gardening together at kinderGARDENS!

Kirsten said...

excited to see what you come up with - how fun to be starting in a new spot! we are kindergardening also! :)

Cathryn said...

Welcome to Kindergardens! I participated last year and we both have a 10 yo. My kids love looking at everyone's posts--they kinda make "friends" too!
Happy Hoeing!

faith buss said...

Glad to see a new Kindergardener! It will be fun to see what you create with your blank canvas!

The author said...

Sometimes it's fun to have a new garden spot. It will be fun to see what the kids come up with. Hope the older ones get some great fair pumpkins and watermelons!

Jess said...

Sounds like you have a great plan. But, oh! A new garden space always is so much work, yet so very rewarding!