Sunday, May 24, 2009

My favorite bread

My favorite no knead bread.


I found the recipe here a few months ago. Since then a friend turned me onto the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes blog. Then Joe bought me the cookbook for my birthday. It has created an obsession. This dough is so versatile. I have made many things with it and keep finding new ways to use this dough.

The Master Recipe: Boule
(Artisan Free-Form Loaf)
Makes 4 1-pound loaves
3 cups lukewarm water
1 1⁄2 tbsp granulated yeast (1 1⁄2 packets)
1 1⁄2 tbsp coarse kosher or sea salt
6 1⁄2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose white flour
Cornmeal for pizza peel


First add water to bowl. I use my kitchenaid mixer. Next add salt and yeast. Next add flour. When mixed, it will be wet and sticky, wet your hands and scoop into large bowl. Cover loosely (its needs to vent) and let sit for about 3 hours or until flattened on top. This step will vary depending on your house temperature. Once dough is risen either refrigerate or use. I prefer to use it for bread right away and freeze or store the loaves. I find that it does not rise as much (though it still rises and is just as yummy) once its been refrigerated. To make a loaf sprinkle flour on top of dough and flour hands. Scoop out desired amount of dough and without kneading make into a ball. There is a trick to this described in the links above. I then set dough on prepared (cornmeal) cookie sheet to rise again for about 30-40 minutes (longer if using cold dough). Then slash top of bread in desired way with sharp, serrated knife. Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a broiler pan in there. When dough is risen put in oven and add cup of water to broiler pan and quickly close door. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool before slicing. I make large loaves and get about 2-3 per batch.

I have made pizza on the grill with this dough as well and it was delicious. The whole wheat recipe is what we use for sandwiches. I have also made Naan, Cinnamon rolls, and sandwich rolls with the master recipe. The book is wonderful and has so many great recipes.


Make sure to read the full directions on the link above. There are tips and tricks to using a wet dough. What I do above works for me and my oven but may not work for yours. I also do not own a baking stone as the recipe calls for and I do not sprinkle the loaf with flour before baking. I find that a sharp enough knife does not stick when slicing it on the top. Happy eating!
Brioche dough from the cookbook.



Carmel Pecan Sticky Rolls using Brioche Dough but can be made with the Master recipe as well. Recipe in the links above.

No comments: